Sunday, February 16, 2014

Better than Middle School Cafeteria Salisbury Steak

I know I haven't updated this in a week or so, but I've been super busy with work. PLUUUUSSSSS, Chris and I got a dog!  Since I was adjusting to a new routine, getting Roux, the Wonderdog acclimated to her surroundings, and working my tail off at work, I haven't had a chance to cook anything substantial.  Seriously - delivery Chinese, Subway, and leftovers ahoy!  I even ate a bowl of lima beans for dinner one night. No joke.  I had no energy.


A few weeks ago, Chris requested a recipe.  So  since I like doing what I can to make him happy, and since I love cooking for people, I cheerfully obliged. Daww love. It's precious.



And what was it that he asked for?  Salisbury Steak.

Typically when people hear the words "Salisbury Steak" visions of elementary school lunches and Banquet frozen dinners pop up in their heads.  But the difference between school lunch/cardboard Salisbury Steak and mine is the flavor of the patties, and the amazing gravy/sauce that smothers the meat.  It's really not what you were served in the lunch line.

Yes. I promise.

So without any more hesitation, here's this blog entry's solo recipe.  Seriously.  It's been crazy around here.


Salisbury Steak

Meat Ingredients
1 1/2 lb. Ground Beef (I really like an 85/15)
1/2 c. seasoned breadcrumbs
1 T. mustard
1 T. beef bullion
1 tsp. Worcestershire
2 T. ketchup
Salt and Pepper
1 T butter
2 T. veg oil

Gravy Ingredients
1 Onion - halved and thinly sliced
2 c. beef broth
1 tsp. Worcestershire
1 T. ketchup
2 T. beef bullion
salt and pepper
Corn Starch (for thickening, if necessary.  Or just make a roux)


Method
1. Put all ingredients in the "Meat Ingredients" list (except for butter and oil)  in a bowl and knead until combined.

2. To make even patties, I form the mixture into a large bowl and use my hand to divide into 4 even sections by scoring the meat across horizontally and vertically.  Then, taking each lump of meat (well doesn't that just sound attractive), I form 4 circular patties (like I'm making a hamburger).

3. I tried scoring lines across the patties to give them a "steak" appearance but then once I fried them up realized no one would know my faux-grill marks...so feel free to skip this step.
4. Add butter and vegetable oil until a skillet or pan. Heat over medium-high until pan is nice and hot.  Add the patties to the hot skillet and cook until no longer pink in the middle (about 4-5 minutes, each side).

5. Remove "steaks" from the pan and set aside on a plate.
6. Reduce heat on the skillet and add sliced onions.  Allow to cook until they're beginning to get translucent.

7. Add the beef broth and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping the sucs (those little delicious little flavor bombs that get stuck to the bottom of your pant).  Then add the Worcestershire, ketchup and beef bullion.  Allow to liquid to simmer away.  If you think your gravy is a little too thin, add a bit of a slurry ( slurry = cornstarch + liquid) or make a roux and whisk to thicken.  If it is too thick, just add a little more beef stock.

8. Add a couple of the cooked Salisbury Steak patties back in to the cooked liquid and onion mixture. Let simmer, about 3 minutes.

9.  Take a Salisbury Steak patty out of the pan, place on a plate and top with tons of cooked onions and gravy.  I served mine with homemade mashed potatoes and peas.  Yep. Trying to make it as frozen-meal authentic as possible.



That's it for recipes for now.  I plan on making a roast chicken within the next few days and a few other things this week that I might share.  I've been craving Beef Stroganoff like nobody's business for some reason.

Or cake.  Lots of cake.  

AND, since I've got Roux and I'm a big fan of giving the pup as few preservatives as possible, I may start making homemade treats. I'd love to share those as well.  Who knows?  I feel like as I grow and change, so does the blog. It's actually quite wonderful to look back on and celebrate.  Pop botttles n' whatnot.






No comments:

Post a Comment