Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Advocare 24-Day Challenge Day 1 and Bun-less Bison Burgers Complete with Alliteration

Advocare Day 1 is officially in the books. I have taken before pictures, stepped on the scale, taken measurements and curled up in a ball in the corner and cried a little.

Ok.  I made it through the first day.  It helps that I have some super supportive people around me and I'm motivated.



But that's how most new eating plans start, right? You get motivated, you gallop to the grocery store, armed with meal plans and grocery lists.  You shop around the edges of the grocery store, filling your cart with good fruits and vegetables, lean meats, and greens you'd never even think of eating.

You carefully stay away from the middle of the store, more specifically, the dreaded cookie and chips aisle.  Even if the bags of Doritos are calling you from the middle of the well-lit aisle and you narrowly miss getting sucked into the soothing cool air of pizza roll cases.

Mmmmm pizza rolls, Doritos, and cookies.


I even purposely avoided the booze section because I know once I wheeled my cart past the service counter to the blissfully quiet, adult-only section of the store, I'd be sucked into some kind of amazing deal on Chardonnay.

But at least for these first 10 days, I'm staying away from alcohol.  After Day-10, I'll probably mosey on over to my good friend Don Julio and we'll have a brief moment to share together.


But alas... Day 1 of the cleanse is finished and I wanted to give ya'll a recap.  I probably won't do a lengthy update of each day of the 24-day Challenge, but for the first 10 days, I'm going to try to update daily on how it is going as well as what I ate and throw in some recipes.

Before I begin on what I ate, I just wanted to share my first experience with the Advocare "Fiber Drink".  I followed the instructions and recommendations from my friends and blogs I have read. A few of the recommendations follows:
1. Drink right the fuck away. If you let the drink sit, it'll congeal and then you're gonna have a bad time.
2. Drink most of your spark and then mix in the fiber with your spark and some additional water.
3. Chase it with some water.
4. Add in some "Trop 50" (low sugar OJ), dilute it with water, add the fiber packet, shake shake shake and drink drink dink.

So I drank most of my Spark (in my half-awake moment I accidentally mixed up the Fruit Punch spark instead of the Orange.  I then proceeded to lock myself out of the apartment while taking Roux on her morning walk.  Chris was more than excited for me to wake his happy ass up at 5:15 am to open the back door.  Ahem. Love you, Chris!) and left 3 ounces left in the blender bottle.  I dumped in the Citrus Fiber Draaank, added more water, and shook that bitch like I was mixing paint...or...something else.


I stood in my kitchen, watched the fiber-sawdust-granules swirl around in my bottle thought, "here goes nothing" and chugged like I was back in college shotgunning a beer.

Mind you, in college I wasn't flailing around my kitchen, waiving one arm in the air, eyes pinched shut, chugging the 8 ounces of sandwater like there was no tomorrow.  Because really, if you let the drink sit too long it becomes gelatin.  And I wasn't about to start my day with fiber-jello.

A few short seconds later, the drink was gone and I was left yukking away, sweeping my tongue against the roof and sides of my mouth and around my teeth in an attempt to rid myself of the aftereffects of the fiber bits.


And as much as I acted like a spaz drinking it, 5 minutes later I forgot all about the consistency as I was wrapped up in this week's episode of Real Housewives of NYC.   (Part of my morning routine: DVR'd trashy realty TV shows)

Anyway, on to the food!

Breakfast: Advocare Chocolate Meal Replacement Shake.  It's not too bad.  Tastes like any other chocolate shake I'd expect.  The package said to add 9 oz. of water. I added more like 12 and it was still super thick. I drank it in my car on my way to work.

Mid-Morning Snack: Apple with all natural peanut butter.

Lunch: Salad.  or at least I tried to eat a salad.  Armed with what looked like a pretty decent salad and some brand spankin' new Walden Farms Thousand Island dressing, I sat down at my desk to nom, Advocare Cleanse style.

Unfortunately...It was bad. Like...really bad.  So bad in fact that I couldn't get past the frozen layer of the top of my salad (apparently the fridge in my office is set to Icerberg status) and ended up eating the edemame I packed instead.  Oh well, at least I wasn't hungry.  Fortunately I've got a snack for later incase my tummy starts rumbling.  Anyone want a barely used bottle of Walden Farms Thousand Island dressing? It's missing 2 Tablespoons, but it's yours if you're feeling fancy.

Mid-Afternoon Snack: Small peach and a few roasted nuts

Dinner: Bun-Less Bison Burgers (recipe follows!) with blanched green beans.  And seriously. This recipe was amazing. I saved a burger patty for lunch tomorrow and I already can't wait until lunch tomorrow. It's that good. Even if you're not doing the cleanse or Advocare, go make these.

Nighttime Snack: Nada - I was full and didn't feel the need to nom on anything.


How I'm Feeling:
I don't think I've ever peed this much in my entire life.   Seriously.  I was a little concerned with the fiber drink since the women's bathroom in my office is like Grand Central Station (if you know what I'm sayin'), but I really honestly don't think I've ever hopped up to run to the bathroom to pee this much...ever.  And since I have to walk past a bunch of cubes and down a little hallway to get to the ladies room, everyone has seen my face at least a dozen times today.

God Bless America at least my kidneys are working.

I was honestly pretty skeptical about how full I would feel with the Meal Replacement Shake (MRS) but surprisingly enough between that and all of the water I was drinking, I didn't get my usual 9:30 am rumbly stomach.  In fact, after eating the small apple and peanut butter, I wasn't even as hungry as I usually am around lunch time.

I was really worried about being hungry when I got home from work.  It's usually the time I wander around my kitchen, poking in cupboards and shoving random things in my face because I'm bored or hungry or a combination of both. Seriously. I have literally stood at my counter and shoveled m&ms in my mouth in between bites of a piece of bread.

But today when I got home, I was good. Granted I had a bunch of stuff going on, but I wasn't starving and I didn't feel the need to munch. I had a good amount of energy and had a dance party with Roux while prepping for dinner and cleaning the apartment.



So...the moment you've been waiting for!  Food!





Hawaiian Bun-less Bison Burgers
I stole this from a blog and am pretty much in love with the recipe.  Plus bison is an amazing protein.  According to the National Bison Association, Bison contains approximately 2.4 grams of fat, 28.4 grams of protein, and only 143 calories for a 3.5 oz. cooked serving. If you'd like to see how some of your other proteins stack up,  the National Bison Association study can be found here. Bonus? Bison can be found in most grocery stores.  Look in the meat case around where ground beef is kept.

Ingredients
1 to 1.5 pounds bison (you can also use ground turkey or very lean beef)
2 T. finely minced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 T. gluten-free soy sauce (You can also use Liquid Aminos... it's a "safe" soy sauce)
1 can pineapple slices in own juice.  (feel free to use fresh if it is available)
1 bell pepper cut into strips (green or red is great - but feel free to use whatever kind you like)
1 medium onion, cut into strips

Method
1. Mix the raw meat, onions, garlic and soy sauce in a bowl.  Cover and marinate in fridge for 30 minutes.


2. Form meat into patties.  Watch your portion size here!  Use a scale or a measuring cup and a circular-form to help get an accurate weight.

3. Grill each patty over an even medium/medium-high heat until cooked through to an internal temperature of 160.

4. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and bell pepper until tender, about 7 minutes. Use a small amount of olive oil or some Pam if necessary. Otherwise use vegetable stock for cooking.

5. Optional - grill your pineapple!  I love grilled fruit and pineapple is super yummy grilled.  Feel free to skip this step if you're not in the mood, not grilling your burgers, or you just don't want to deal with the fuss.

6. To assemble, top a burger with a pineapple ring and your sauteed veggies.


The great thing about the Bison Burger recipe is that while I went bun-less, you can absolutely use a bun.  Or lettuce and turn it into a wrap.  Or use a portobello mushroom as your bun.  And if bison isn't available or it's a bit too pricey for you, ground turkey would work just fine.

Pro tip?  Bison and turkey have a tendency to dry out easily so keep an eye on the meat.

I know it's tough when you have to cook turkey to 165.  So if you're using turkey, to make sure your burgers are done without turning them into a particle-board hockey puck, add a little olive oil.  It might seem a tad bit counterproductive, but olive oil is good fat (in moderation, yo!)  Mix in 2 tsp. per 1 pound of turkey.  It should help keep the meat nice and moist while you're cooking.



So that's it.  A bit long, but Day 1 is down.  And just an FYI, while I probably won't share before and after pictures after the 24 days, I'll absolutely share the weight and inches lost.   Depending on the results and how comfortable I feel, I may share the pictures.

Or if ole Donny Julio and I have a really good reunion and he talks me into posting the pictures.





1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    Thanks a lot for sharing the blog and At AdvoCare, We Build Champions through physical and financial wellness. Backed by the latest science, AdvoCare provides innovative nutritional, weight-management and sports performance products.
    For more details click here Advocare 24 Day Challenge

    ReplyDelete