Sunday, May 18, 2014

Advocare Challenge Days 4 & 5 Update and Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes Revisited

I'm going to take a moment to pat myself on the back.  I'll try not to break my arm doing so, but it's one of those moments where I'm really happy with myself.

Have you ever been in a moment where you've found your willpower being pushed to the limit?

That was Saturday (Day 4 of the Challenge).

Chris, another friend and I went to a crawfish boil at a bar here in Chicago.  I know that shellfish is a no-no on the cleanse but it is probably one of my absolute favorite foods.  I love crabs, lobster, scallops....and know that I would have loved crawfish.  Plus, Chris (being from the Bayou) was so excited about the boil, I really wanted to join in on his excitement and dive into a bucket of crustaceans.

Typically anytime we go out, I'm the first to belly up to the bar and order a beer.  When it gets nicer out, there is nothing that makes me happier than sitting on a patio with some friends, Summer Shandy in hand, talking, laughing, drinking and eating food that probably isn't that good for me at all.

But instead of cave in and order beer or nom down on crawfish, I dutifully drank water while the guys dove into their trays of seafood deliciousness and downed beers.

I tried a piece of a tail, but other than that...nope nope nope.


Then after the boil, we met up with a couple of other friends at another bar.   Confession time!  I did order a tequila on the rocks with soda and lime, but in all fairness, I only had 1, nursed it for close to 2 hours, and drank water for the rest of the night.

Part of me feels really bad for not sticking to the plan, but I'm trying to rationalize it with the fact that I had approximately 125 ounces of water that day, only 1.5 ounces of tequila and then proceeded to have a hot-mess Karaoke dance-fest with some friends.


I also need to come to the firm understanding that this Challenge is just the beginning of a lifestyle change.  There will be days I have a slice of pizza.  Or I order some crab rangoon.  Or I eat popcorn at a movie and have a coke zero.  I will have a Summer Shandy at the lake this summer, and I can't get bent out of shape about it.

It isn't fair and it won't work for a healthy mindset if I feel guilty about every single poor-food choice.  That won't help at all and it'll really only set me up for failure.  It's all about the mindset.  Long-term, if I go on vacation and make 85-90% of good food choices and 15-10% of bad ones, that's ok.  That's life.  There just needs to be a healthy balance, ya dig?


Anyway... I didn't really cook anything on Saturday and my meal plan will be kinda boring, but here we go anyway:

Saturday (day 4)

Breakfast: I took some of the turkey sausage, peppers and onions from last night's foil-packet dinner and scrambled them up with egg whites.  Then had a leftover peach cobbler on the side.

Mid-Morning Snack: Nada. I woke up so late that by the time I had breakfast, it was time for lunch.  So...on to lunch!

Lunch: Cooked up a chicken breast in a bit of olive oil and had a lettuce salad with cilantro-lime vinaigrette on the side.

Afternoon Snack: Ugh. Nothing...I need to do a better job of planning when I'm going to be out of the house.  Since we went out around 2, I didn't have a chance to grab a snack before we left.

Dinner: Feel free to yell at me. It's confession time #2.  While I am proud of my ability to say no to crawfish and bar-nachos, at the same time, I also said no to dinner.  I looked at the bar menu and there really wasn't anything I could order, so I figured I would just get something the next place we went to.  Well, the next place we went to was karaoke, and between singing Pat Benetar and dancing with friends, I didn't look at the menu.  Ended up leaving but by the time we got home, I was too exhausted (and taking care of a drunk boyfriend) to cook anything substantial.  So dinner consisted of a handful of roasted nuts, a peach and a banana.  I'll do better tomorrow.



So Sunday! Day 5 and halfway through the cleanse. The nice thing about not drinking Saturday night and the amazing thing about the cleanse so far is all of the energy I have and how good of a mood I'm in.  I feel lighter.  Not like I dropped a ton of weight, but just that I'm not weighed down by fatty foods and fried junk.  I just feel better.   So when I woke up Sunday morning, I laced up my running shoes and took Roux for a brisk walk and a bit of a jog around the park.  It was way too nice to stay inside.

Then I planted myself on my couch with some Spark and did meal planning for the week.  Thanks to the AdvoPeeps cookbook (I don't have a direct link since it is a PDF. If you'd like a copy, just send me a message) and Pinterest as well as my own creativity, I have some meals I'll be cooking this week that I'm super excited about.


As for Sunday..

Breakfast: Egg white scramble with some of the turkey sausage and veggies from Friday night's foil packets.

Mid-Morning Snack:  A banana

Lunch: Ahem. Um...yeah.  I know my AdvoCoach is going to kill me for this one, but confession #3.  I got so wrapped up in doing some stuff around the house and then running errands and going to the grocery store that um.. I.. kinda forgot.   Seriously this is my biggest downfall - sometimes I just get so busy I forget to eat.

Mid-Afternoon Snack: A handful of roasted nuts and some veggies while I was preparing dinner.

Dinner: Roasted chicken with sweet potatoes, carrots and green beans.  I originally made roast chicken and posted the recipe here, but this time I'm not stuffing the skin with butter and I'm going easy on the oil.  I also decided to rub the chicken with a blend of spices (paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, cayanne pepper, and black pepper) rather than all of the salt that I used last time.  I also rubbed the spice mix under the skin of the chicken and inside the cavity.  I'm not a fan of chicken skin anyway, so that's one less thing I have to worry about forgoing.

yum in your facehole

Evening Snack: Nada. I'm so amazingly full from dinner.  Well, I'm writing this at 7:00 right now, so I might be snagging an apple or something a little bit later.  As of now, water is suiting me just fine.


How I'm Feeling: I'm feeling amazing. Honestly. I had a few reservations about Advocare before starting, but so far I'm able to eat what I like, have enough where I feel full, and the energy I have is insane.  I was actually talking about the cleanse for a few people last week and their main question was, "so do you miss eating food?"

Well no actually since I get to shove deliciousness in my mouthpiece. I know there are a lot of cleanses out there and really you need to pick what works for you, and there are probably positives and negatives for every program, and I wasn't kidding when I said that I have tried everything, but I can't remember the last time I had this much energy and the last time I felt this good.  Crazy.


Going for the jog/brisk walk this morning put me in a great mood and set me up for a good day.  I'm still riding on the high from Saturday night and realizing I have more willpower than I thought.  And I went grocery shopping so my fridge and freezer is loaded up with food for the upcoming week.

I'm actually really excited about tomorrow's recipe.  But you're going to have to wait until tomorrow for me to post that.   Sorry not sorry.



No comments:

Post a Comment