Thursday, May 22, 2014

Advocare Challenge Days 8 & 9: Two Updates for the Price of One.

Double wrap-up/update time.

Since Day 8 was just leftovers, I didn't feel like I should come up with an entry since I'm feeling pretty much the same as I did yesterday...and the day before.


I guess the only thing that's really different is that for today (day 8) and the next two days, I'm back to drinking sawdust.

It's really not my favorite thing in the world.  I mean, I get why I'm drinking it and I've had way worse in my mouth (ba-zing), but if I could forgo it, I would.  Anyway, enough of being a sissy.

Breakfast: Chocolate MRS.  I just realized I'm going to need to order more pretty soon.

Mid-Morning Snack: Peach with a handful of nuts

Lunch: Leftover BBQ Chicken and Roasted Sweet Potatoes from last night

Afternoon Snack: Small salad and an apple

Dinner: Leftovers!  I've still got some rotisserie chicken as well as a salmon burger in my fridge. Plus my veggie drawer is stuffed to the brim

Evening Snack: Banana

How I'm Feeling: Hydrated and healthy.  And it might be wishful thinking but when I peeked at myself in the mirror while getting ready this morning I thought, "are my ankles less kankle-y?"  The pants I bought a month and a half ago feel a little looser, too.  Again. It might be wishful thinking or just less bloat from eating salt and junk food, but damn.  Me gusta.


I also found a gym that is a little closer to my work and should be more convenient for me to head to. I've been avoiding going to the gym since it's so far out of my way and by the time I get out of work and then sit in traffic, I don't feel like going an extra 15 minutes out of my way to the gym.  I'm already frustrated and all I want to do is go home and eat a bowl of salami. Or potato chips.  Or chocolate. Or a stick of butter.

So I'm going to bring my gear to work with me, change, and then head to the gym near work.  It's only about a 10-15 minute drive depending on traffic and I can try out the new gym without having to officially switch my home gym.  Winner winner workout dinner.


Annnnnd Day 9.  So close to finishing the cleanse and I have to say that I think I'm going to miss this phase.  I know I have 14 more days after this and then I get to figure out what my next steps are, but I'm liking what I am doing so far.  And the fiber-drink isn't so bad.  Really.

Breakfast: Since I was working from home today, I actually had time to make breakfast.  So I had an egg white scramble with peppers, onions and leftover BBQ grilled chicken

Mid-Morning Snack: Mango and Strawberries

Lunch: Salad with hardboiled egg whites and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

Afternoon Snack: Edemame

Dinner: Salisbury Steaks - no, really.  The recipe follows. I also made some green beans which I blanched and then sauteed in tiny bit of olive oil with a little red pepper flakes for some heat.

Evening Snack: Nada. The steaks were quite filling.

How I'm Feeling:  Not sure if I'm getting sick or allergies are just kicking my ass but I feel like I have a good deal of chest congestion.  Doing yoga and trying to "open my chest" during twisting and stretching was tough. I'm coughing and hacking like a 64-year-old 2-pack-a-day smoker.  Super sexy.

Also, I managed to deep-clean my apartment today. It desperately needed it, so getting on my hands and knees to scrub my tub and then scouring the top of my stove was great for getting in a workout today.


Salisbury Steak
Chris loves Salisbury steak something fierce.  I've actually made this for him before, but it was back when I would make comfort food and give close to zero fucks about what was in it.  Since starting the challenge, I've been a lot more conscientious about meal planning for the week and making sure the stuff I'm eating is not only flavorful but is good for me, too.  If you'd like the previous recipe, point yourself over to this link.


And one of my absolute favorite things to do is to take requests from people and either see how I can put my own spin on it or - now - see how I can make it "Advo-friendly".

Enter New-And-Improved Salisbury steak.   On a drive last week running errands, I asked Chris if there was anything I haven't made in a while that he might want me to try to make.  He suggested an old favorite and I've been chomping at the bit to make it something he requested that I could eat and not feel guilty about.

I wouldn't say that this is exactly like your typical Salisbury steak, but it is reminiscent of the flavor.  Honestly, they're more like Salisbury steak-burgers.   But the flavor is still incredible.    I used a little more than 1/2 of an onion for my gravy because I am a big fan of onions, so you'll notice the gravy is a little more chunky than your traditional Salisbury steak gravy.

Ingredients (makes 4 large or 5 medium sized steaks)
(Salisbury Steaks)
1.5-2 pounds grass fed lean (no less than 93%) ground beef or bison
1 egg
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, minced
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp thyme

(Gravy)
2 tsp. fat (olive oil, grapeseed oil, bacon fat, etc.)
3/4 c. beef broth
3 oz. coconut or almond milk
1/2 onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder

Method
1. Fire up your grill or heat a grill/saute pan over medium-high heat.

2. Add all of your steak ingredients to a large bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands.


3. Form meat into circular patties, being mindful of portion size.
4. Cook your patties on the grill or on the stove, 3-5 minutes each side.  Go a little less or a little more depending on your "doneness" preference.
Roux has a permanent spot on the steps when we grill out

5. While the meat is cooking, make the gravy.  Add oil, onions and garlic to a saute pan over medium heat.  Let cook until the onions are translucent.


6. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and turn the heat down to low, stirring occasionally until the sauce is reduced to your liking.

7. Once the patties are done, top with the gravy and enjoy!


As I mentioned above, I made these with some green beans I blanched and quickly sauteed with a little bit of olive oil and some red pepper flakes.  I really like green beans.  I eat so many of them I might be turning into one big green bean.


I probably won't post Day 10 until Sunday or Monday.  I'll be off celebrating the Memorial Day weekend and might not have time to post an update.  So I'll do a cleanse-update of weight and inches lost as well as a recap about the weekend on Sunday or Monday when I am able.  Until then, I'll be sticking to the 24-Day Challenge and enjoying the weekend.

Happy Memorial Day, ya'll!


No comments:

Post a Comment