Friday, May 30, 2014

Advocare Max Phase Mid-Point Update and a Recipe! Applesauce Chicken

So I'm currently in the middle of the Advocare 24-Day Challenge, more specifically in the Max Phase.

I don't want to update every day because not only would that get tedious for me and I like actually doing things besides sitting on my ass in front of my computer.  There really isn't anything super new to report.  I would literally be stating the same things over and over again.  And as much as some of you might like broken records, it's gets a bit old after a while and no one wants to read 86 entries in a row of me talking about how much energy I have.


So I've been on the Max Phase for about a week now.  I have to say I'm liking it, but I am starting to wonder "what's next"?  I've got a week to go, and I want something to challenge me after the 24 days.  I'm going to need to talk to my Super-Ultra-Fabulous Advocare Coach and see what she recommends.  I still want to keep losing weight and eating healthy. I just need another program to embark on or I know everything will go to hell in a handbasket.

I'm a damn child.  If I don't have supervision, I'll just be over in the corner eating glue and picking my nose.

So far things are going well in this phase.  I have to say I have learned that I hate taking pills.  And some of the pills in this phase are damn huge and if you leave them in your mouth for too long before swallowing, they're a little on the gross side.

I'm looking at you, 3 green pills.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were gelcaps, but they're compacted herbs or something they aren't my most favorite thing.

Other than that, I seriously have an insane amount of energy now that I'm on the tail end of the chest cold.  I want to go and do.

In fact, I decided to motivate myself by signing up for a 5k.  I've never run a 1k let alone a 5k.  (Damnit runners, I know it's not a real thing. Calm down)


I just don't run.  I spaz out, flopping around on the tredmill doing something that one could almost think is running.  But I just don't run. Unless it's to a bar. In the rain. Or someone is giving away puppies at the finish line.

I did figure that if I signed up for a race, I'd almost have to train for it, right?  And if I post about it on Facebook and write about it here, well then damn I'm just a big ole jackass if I don't finish.

And since I hate large crowds, and would probably be the slowest person ever, I decided to do a Virtual 5k.

A Virtual 5k is basically where you run a 5k solo.  I'm still supporting a charity I like, and I'll get a super cool medal, but I can pick the time and place I want to run.  I can run on a tredmill if I want, by the lake, or around my park.  Hell, I could Prancercise if I feet fancy.


I have a week in June to run my 5k run and then I can log it with the group putting it on.  Not too bad and since I can run solo and not in a large group of people, I don't have to worry about keeping up with people, getting in anyone's way, or bumping into those around me.

Of course this means I should probably start training and you know...running.
 

That's about it for me.  I've noticed small changes in my appearance already.  A pair of pants that don't fit as well, a dress I haven't worn in a while fits better, I'm not as hungry, I don't crave junk as much.   All good things.

But I'm not going to lie.  I would still murder your grandmother for some Crab Rangoon.


So last night I tried a new Chicken recipe.  I find myself totally fine coming up with ways to cook protein that fits with my new lifestyle, but I'm riding the struggle bus when it comes to way to prepare veggies.  So my go-to has been roasted veggies with a little olive oil and Mrs. Dash.

Boring boring boring.

However, the Applesauce Chicken recipe I made was actually pretty tasty.  And it went with my roasted sweet potatoes and green beans deliciously well.  (I tried roasting broccoli along with it, but there is something about broccoli that makes me want to smash a plate and curl into a ball. Damn tree-like vegetables)

So.  Without further adieus...because I hate adieus, here's the recipe for das Chicken.


Applesauce Chicken

Ingredients
4 chicken breasts
1 small onion, diced
2 T. garlic, minced
1 T. olive oil
Mrs. Dash seasoning of your choice (or mix together some sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper)
1 c. no sugar added applesauce
1/2 c. water
2 T. white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Method
1. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium.  Add onions and garlic, stirring occasionally and sauteing until translucent.

2. Season Chicken breasts with the Mrs. Dash or seasoning blend, increase heat to medium-high, add chicken to the pan, browning both sides.

3. Add the remaining ingredients and allow mixture to come to a simmer.   Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue to cook until chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes.

4. To serve, plate chicken and spoon over sauce.


Voila!  All finished.  I will try to update sometime next week and then once again once the challenge is over.  Since there are friends coming into town next weekend, an entry might not happen until late next Sunday or Monday.  

Have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment