Friday, November 7, 2014

Great Thing About Being an Adult #263 : Mixing Alcohol, Fruit and Dessert. It's #PieTime

I don't usually make desserts.  I'll eat the hell out of some desserts, but I don't normally make them.


I don't mind baking, and I'll get a lady-food-boner over the smell of delicious sweets baking in my oven.

But the problem is that I like to be able to "toss shit in a pan", cook it out, and play with flavors and amounts.  You can't really do that with baking.  It's a science.  You can't toss an extra couple of eggs or an extra cup of sugar into cake batter and think things are going to turn out ok.  Because they most likely won't.

Probably you'll have a mess.  Probably you'll have diabetes. Maybe both. Who knows.

Plus the problem with making a whole tray of brownies is that I don't really have anyone to share them with.  Chris doesn't have a crazy sweet tooth and I don't want to eat a whole batch of something by myself.

Which could very well happen.

And then I won't have any pants that fit me.

Which is a problem.

So a few weekends ago I surprised myself when I felt like baking a pie.  I also coincidentally had all of the ingredients on hand and didn't have to run out to the store.  Winner winner pie dinner.


Before I get started, please understand that this isn't going to be beautiful.  I'm not a pastry chef.  It might look like a hot mess.  And that's ok. Because what this pie lacked in being stunningly gorgeous, it made up for in taste. And liquor was involved.

Holy shit was it good.


Spiced Apple and Peach Pie with Bourbon

Ingredients
1 box Pillsbury pie crust (or make your own!)
4 golden delicious or granny smith apples, peeled and sliced thinly
1 16 oz. bag frozen, sliced peaches (defrosted)
3 T. butter
1/3 c. bourbon
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 T. cinnamon
1 T. nutmeg
1/2 T. ginger
1/3 c. flour
1 egg + sprinkle of sugar (for the crust)

Method
1. Preheat your oven to 350° and unroll one pie crust over 9 inch pie plate.  Press pie crust to bottom and sides of plate.

2. Peel and slice your apples. Heat a large pot over medium melt your butter.  Add the apples and cook until softened, about 7-9 minutes.

3. Add the peaches, bourbon, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.  Allow mixture to combine and soften.

4. Sprinkle in the flour and stir well to combine and allow to cook until the mixture starts to thicken.

5. Pour fruit mixture into pie-crust-lined-plate.

6. Place second pie crust over top of fruit mixture.  Tuck edges of top pie crust under the bottom and crimp with your fingers to form a seal. Cut a small hole in the center of the top crust as shown below as well as a few slits in the crust.

7. Whisk egg in a small bowl and use a basting brush to coat the top of the on top of the pie with the beaten egg.  Finish with sprinkling of sugar.

8. Bake in your preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden-brown.  Allow to cool completely before slicing.



Serve your pie with some vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.  Or the rest of the bourbon you didn't put in your pie.

Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment