Sunday, December 7, 2014

Let Me Blow Ya mind - Chicken Meatballs with Zucchini Pasta.

Well my fat ass is getting back on the workout and healthy eating grind.

I honestly missed being in the gym and I've missed eating  healthy.

I think the tipping point was right around Thanksgiving when I happened to be out shopping for a dress to wear for a few holiday parties, tried on the appropriate size, took one look at my stomach in the mirror, turned around to look at my booty, and just about fainted.


Shitballs.

And while I refused to go up a size and threw the dress halfway across the dressing room before relegating myself to a new pair of leggings and a cute sweater, I decided it was time to dust off the wagon and climb back on.

So here I am.

And to be honest, I haven't really gained anything back from my Exercizapalooza-stint this summer.  I stepped on the scale, took some measurements and didn't immediately want to slit my wrists.  So that's something.

Anyway.  Back in the gym, back to turning down fried crab rangoon in favor of something lighter, and back to turning recipes healthy...here I am.


And speaking of recipes, I think I need to migrate over to Wordpress. Or find some kind of plugin for my blog that allows for printable recipes.  I'd probably get more than 6 readers if I did that.

Probably I need to take better pictures.  But it's really hard when your kitchen is about as well-lit as a Soviet Union prison and the only thing your camera is really good for anyway is texting bitches....because it's actually just a phone and you decided to go with capabilities other than taking fucking pictures when you picked out the camera.

I digress.

So I'm about to drop something on your taste buds that takes a comfort food like spaghetti and meatballs to a whole new, healthyass level.  You get the great flavor of meatballs with a super yummy tomato sauce without worrying that you can't fit into the dress you'll need for your holiday parties.  Winner winner chicken meatball dinner.  What's the secret besides ground chicken?  Zucchini.   Instead of spaghetti or pasta, I'm using julienned zucchini to act as my "pasta". And before you wrinkle up your nose and tell me to shove the zucchini up my ass, trust me.  It's marvelous.


I made enough of the chicken meatballs so that Chris and I would have plenty of leftovers.  I've always found that the more prepared in the kitchen I am, and the more I can plan out my meals, the easier it is to stick to the food I've got and the less likely I am to run out for an extra large Chipotle burrito. God damn I love Chipotle.


I do have to give credit where credit is due for this recipe since I didn't come up with it on my own.  I snagged this recipe from Bodybuilding.com and the FitMenCook recipe contest.  If you've never heard of FitMenCook, head on over to www.fitmencook.com and prepare to get your mind blown.  He has tons of great, healthy and flavorful recipes.  

I will say that I made a few changes from the original recipe like using a fat-free feta cheese instead of the goat cheese and also using Panko instead of the Quest protein chips.   I also was able to yield more meatballs than the original recipe called for.

Chicken Meatballs with Tomato Sauce and Zucchini Pasta
Makes 4  deliciously amazeballs servings

Ingredients
16 oz. Lean Ground Chicken
2 Large Eggs
1/3 c. Panko Bread Crumbs (plain)
2 T. Dried Oregano (divided)
3 T. Minced Garlic (2 T. for the chicken meatballs, 1 T. for the sauce)
1/2 c. Diced Red Onion (small dice)
1/4 c. Low Fat Feta Cheese (full fat, or goat cheese if you prefer)
6 medium roma tomatoes (small dice, seeds removed)
1 c. Canned Tomato Sauce (no salt added)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
3 large Zucchini

Method
1.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In a medium bowl, mix ground chicken, eggs, panko crumbs, 1 T. oregano, 2 T. garlic, onion, feta cheese, and salt and black pepper.

3. Form small golf-ball sized meatballs and place on an aluminum-foil lined baking sheet.  I made about 18 meatballs of equal size.

4. Bake in your preheated oven for 18-20 minutes.  Remove and adjust racks to allow for broiling to brown and crisp the meatballs.  Return pan to the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes or until meatballs have been deliciously browned.

5. While the meatballs are baking, make your sauce by preheating a nonstick skillet on medium-high.  Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray and add remaining garlic and oregano.  Cook for 2 minutes, continuously stirring. Add diced tomatoes to the skillet and stir,  Add tomato sauce, stir, and reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.

6. Shred the zucchini using a julienne peeler, spiralizer, or mandolin with a julienne insert.

7. When chicken meatballs are done, add zucchini "pasta" to a plate, top with 4 meatballs and finish  with the sauce.   Enjoy!

Nutrition and Whatnot (per serving)
377 calories.  13 g. fat.  29 g. carbs. 34 g. protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment